Fugitive VP Hashemi Warns Iraq May Break Apart; Charges Iran Is Arming Assad
Hashemi, who fled Baghdad in December after being accused of running a death squad to murder his political opponents, told the BBC that the charges were politically motivated and that his former bodyguards were tortured into giving false testimony.
The Sunni Hashemi accuses Maliki, a Shia, of pursing policies of "sectarian polarization" and violence that may lead to the kind of sectarian strife that claimed thousands of Iraqi lives in 2006 and 2007.
He also alleged that Maliki seeks to "divert the political process into some sort of autocratic regime.”
Unless urgent steps are immediately taken, Hashemi warned, Iraq could split apart.
- FOLLOW US
- Follow @ibtimesindia
The same day Hashemi made his warnings, three dozen people were killed in a wave of bombings across Iraq.
Since fleeing the capital he has lived in exile in Kurdish-controlled northern Iraq, but has recently made trips to the United Arab Emirates, Saudi Arabia and Turkey.
Hashemi, who stills considers himself Iraq’s vice president, is the nation’s highest ranking Sunni Muslim politician, while Maliki and much of the Cabinet are Shias. Much of the sectarian violence that periodically erupts in Iraq is framed along the ancient Sunni-Shia schism.
Hashemi also claimed Iran, a Shia power, is behind some of the sectarian conflict in Iraq.
He told Today’s Zaman, an English-language Turkish newspaper, that Iran is illegally sending weapons to President Bashar al- Assad in Syria through Iraqi airspace. (Iraq is located between Iran and Syria).
Hashemi also said he is seeking an alliance with Kurdish political parties and some Shias in order to topple Maliki before the next elections are held in 2014.
Indeed, while visiting Turkey, Hashemi met with Massoud Barzani, the Iraqi Kurdish leader, as well as Turkish Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
- Lok Sabha Elections 2014: BJP-TDP Tie-up Faces Trouble over Seat Allotment, Pawan Kalyan Tops Google Celebrities' List
- Lok Sabha Elections 2014: Sonia Gandhi Claims Full Credit for Telangana, Slams TRS, TDP, YSRCP
- Pawan Kalyan, Chiranjeevi, Nagma among Most Searched Celebrity Candidates
- Boston Marathon Bombing Anniversary: Remembering Tragedy, Baffling Motives of Tsarnaev Brothers
- Reporters who Broke Snowden Story Return to U.S. for First Time
- WATCH: Shoe Thrown at Hillary Clinton in Las Vegas; 'Good Thing She Didn't Play Softball Like I Did’ Replies Clinton after Dodging Attack