Indonesia Earthquake 8.7 Magnitude and Tsunami Warnings: Latest Updates [VIDEO]
A massive earthquake measuring 8.7 on the Richter scale hit Indonesia on Wednesday.
The quake and aftershocks from surrounding regions led to tsunami warnings for all nearby coastal countries. Reports said the quake was in roughly the same area as the monster 9.1-magnitude tremor on 26 December, 2004, which sparked a tsunami that killed about 230,000 people across 13 countries bordering the Indian Ocean, including Thailand, Sri Lanka and India.
- FOLLOW US
- Follow @ibtimesindia
The US Geological Survey said the quake was felt in Thailand and southern Indian states and was detected 33km beneath the ocean floor and about 495 kilometres south-west of Banda Aceh but its scientists have ruled out any tsunami.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
- Nokia X Receives Price Cut in India; Now Available for ₹7,729
- Oppo Find 7 with 2K (2560x1440p) Display to Debut in India in Mid-2014
- Hrithik-Katrina to Work with ‘Amazing Spider-Man 2' Stunt Director in ‘Bang Bang’
- Japan’s Whale Meat Eating Likened to Kangaroo Meat Eating in Australia
- Malaysian Airlines Flight 370: Western Center for Journalism Report Links Edward Snowden, bin Laden, The Carlyle Group & Jacob Rothschild to Missing Boeing 777
- Thais Brace for Recession as Crisis Nears Crunch Time