Indonesia Earthquake 8.7 Magnitude and Tsunami Warnings: Latest Updates [VIDEO]
A massive earthquake measuring 8.7 on the Richter scale hit Indonesia on Wednesday.
The quake and aftershocks from surrounding regions led to tsunami warnings for all nearby coastal countries. Reports said the quake was in roughly the same area as the monster 9.1-magnitude tremor on 26 December, 2004, which sparked a tsunami that killed about 230,000 people across 13 countries bordering the Indian Ocean, including Thailand, Sri Lanka and India.
- FOLLOW US
- Follow @ibtimesindia
The US Geological Survey said the quake was felt in Thailand and southern Indian states and was detected 33km beneath the ocean floor and about 495 kilometres south-west of Banda Aceh but its scientists have ruled out any tsunami.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
- Watch NBA Playoffs: Portland Trail Blazers vs Houston Rockets Game 2 Live Streaming Information
- Watch NBA Playoffs: Dallas Mavericks vs San Antonio Spurs Game 2 Live Streaming Information
- Watch NBA Playoffs: Miami Heat vs Charlotte Bobcats Game 2 Live Streaming Information
- Kris Jenner Faces Health Scare After Flaunting Figure in Bikini
- Japan’s Whale Meat Eating Likened to Kangaroo Meat Eating in Australia
- Malaysian Airlines Flight 370: Western Center for Journalism Report Links Edward Snowden, bin Laden, The Carlyle Group & Jacob Rothschild to Missing Boeing 777