A Billion Pound Fund for Green Tech
The UK government has relaunched a one billion pound fund for developing carbon capture and storage technology (CCS). Interested companies can submit their bid by July, according to a report.
Carbon capture and storage technology attempts to prevent a large amount of carbon in the atmosphere; it captures 90 per cent of carbon emission and permanently stores it underground. The one billion pounds in funding will be available to a wide range of projects, including gas power stations and even industrial plants involved as part of group schemes, to develop CCS on a commercial scale between 2016 and 2020, according to a Press Association report.
The government believes by the end of 2020 the CCS industry could contribute more than six billion pounds every year to the economy.
- FOLLOW US
- Follow @ibtimesindia
"The potential rewards from carbon capture and storage are immense: a technology that can decarbonise coal and gas-fired power stations and large industrial emitters, allowing them to play a crucial part in the UK's low carbon future," Press Association quoted Ed Davey, Secretary of State for Energy and Climate Change.
"What we are looking to achieve, in partnership with industry, is a new world-leading CCS industry, rather than just simply projects in isolation - an industry that can compete with other low-carbon sources to ensure security and diversity of our electricity supply, an industry that can make our energy-intensive industries cleaner and an industry that can bring jobs and wealth to our shores," he added.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
- Europe Cracks Down on Google, Apple, Facebook and the Data-Driven Tax Black Hole
- South Africa Struggling with Logistics for Nelson Mandela Memorial
- We’re Unprepared for Climate Change and Its Consequences – China
- Vast Freshwater Reserves Discovered Beneath Ocean Holds Promise for Reducing Drought Impacts
- Climate Council Warns Australia to Brace for More Raging Bushfires, Longer Heatwaves
- Scientist Maps Climate of LOTR's Middle Earth: New Zealand is the Shire, Los Angeles is Mt. Doom
- Miss Earth 2013 Top 8 Q & A, Find Out The Winning Answer
- Melbourne Zoo Saddened by Sudden Death of Elephant Calf Sanook
- Abbott Gov’t, Greens Agree to Remove Federal Debt Ceiling, Issue More Commonwealth Bonds to Fund Everyday Services
- Abrupt Changes To Come Sooner Due To Climate Change Spark Fear
North Korea Executes Kim Jong-un's Uncle Chang Song-thaek, Another Example of North’s ‘Brutality’ Says US