Sea Creature Washes Up On Folly Beach, South Carolina: What Is The Atlantic Sturgeon?
South Carolina's Folly Beach got a shocking surprise when something very unusual washed up on their shore over the weekend. The mysterious sea creature, weighing in at a whopping 800 pounds, was identified by a South Carolina aquarium veterinarian as an Atlantic sturgeon.
The Atlantic sturgeon actually made headlines at the beginning of February when federal officials declared the prehistoric fish an endangered species. Click the link to see the picture of the Atlantic sturgeon that washed up on the Folly Beach shore.
Where does the Atlantic sturgeon reside?
Many species of the sturgeon can be found in North American waters, with federal officials protecting the creatures that reside in the Delaware and Hudson rivers, as well as the Gulf of Maine, and Chesapeake, Carolina and South Atlantic, reports the Huffington Post. The specific sturgeon that washed up on shore is native to the South Carolina area.
What does a sturgeon look like?
- FOLLOW US
- Follow @ibtimesindia
According to the Office of Protected Resources, the Atlantic sturgeon can reach a height of 15 feet long and weigh up to 800 lbs, but generally only grows to be 10 feet long and 300 pounds. The colors of this sea creature is generally blueish-black, but can also be olive brown. Another feature of the sturgeon are its five rows of dermal "scrutes," which are thorny scales.
What is the life span of the Atlantic sturgeon?
What does the Atlantic sturgeon eat?
The Atlantic sturgeon is now flesh eating piranha, even though its appearance can be frightening. According to the Office of Protected Resources, the Atlantic sturgeon feeds off crustaceans, worms and mollusks.
Why is the Atlantic sturgeon endangered?
Atlantic sturgeons are hunted for caviar. The Huffington Post reported that if the loss of Atlantic sturgeons continued, the species would never be able to recover, and would be at risk of extinction.
The Atlantic sturgeon was also being harmed by dredging of the Delaware River. The Huffington Post cites other threats to the creature as pollution, climate change and propellers of cargo ships.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
- Clive Palmer’s Party Could Determine Swing Vote on Carbon Tax Repeal
- Australian Mining Billionaire Clive Palmer Opposes Tony Abbott's Direct Action Plan, Thinks It's 'Hopeless'
- Apple Inc Q2 Earnings Predictions Reveal Low iPad Sales; Apple Celebrates Earth Day with Green-Themed Stores
- Earth Day 2014: History, Origin and Significance; 10 Inspiring Quotes That Will Touch Your Heart
- Tony Abbott's Budget Cuts on Research a Declaration of War on Science
- New Zealand Bids Goodbye to Ozone-Depleting Substances in Response to Climate Change
- Attention Climate Change Skeptics: Man-made Emissions Cause Global Warming
- Australia Remains Silent Amid Global Warming And Calls For Renewable Energy Use
- Climate Change: New Zealand, Australia Needs to Do 'More' to Help Reduce Global Gas Emissions
- Tony Abbott Accused of Leading Australia to an 'Environmental Train Wreck'