Valentine' Day is not for everyone; there are many who find the omnipresence of red roses and chocolates sickening, rather than adorable. There might be others who just went through a bad break-up or have given up on love.
Whichever group you belong to, there are quite a few activities that you can do with or without your 'love'-hating friends.
Instead of taking the time and effort to make someone else happy, use the holiday to pamper yourself. Relax at a Spa, enjoy a soothing massage, spend the day shopping for yourself, eat everything you love, listen to your favourite music and everything else that makes you happy.
Watch the least romantic films
Stay away from rom-coms for the day and catch up with some of the best anti-valentines day classics. 'Fatal Attraction', for example will you with relief, for that one-night stand did not turn into something more, while 'Basic Instinct' will remind you why falling for a sexy seductress may not be the best idea this Valentine's Day. If Ryan Gosling has to resort to dating blow up dolls ('Lars and the Real Girl'), what chance do mere mortals like us have at love?
Other anti-Valentine's Day favourites include "Antichrist", "Heathers" and "Frances Ha".
Throw or Attend an Anti-Valentine's Day Party
With broken heart decorations and cocktails with clever puns, go all out on an Anti-Valentine's party, that will be the talk of town till 14 February 2016. With lists of "Best Reasons to be Single", "Worst Date Stories", "Worst Pick-Up Lines" and so on, make up games that spits in the face of love. An example would be playing cheesy scenes from romantic films and making snarky comments at it.
— Nina Pottell (@Matineegirl) February 9, 2015
If you want to go a step further that just hating Valentine's Day and announcing to the world that you do, take a look some of the funniest quotes and messages that you can share with your friends:
- My love life is like a piece of Swiss cheese. Most of it is missing, and what's there stinks. — Joan Rivers
- Today is Valentine's Day. Or, as men like to call it, extortion day. - Jay Leno
- My wife and I were happy for twenty years. Then we met. — Rodney Dangerfield
- Love is an exploding cigar we willingly smoke. — Lynda Barry
- Love stinks! - J. Geils Band
Messages for friends and ex-lovers:
- Happy Valentine's Day, ex-lover, I hope our failed relationship will make me as talented as Adele some day.
- Love is like a box of chocolates, its sweet at first... and then, they make you want to puke.
- You got your Valentine and I got my Jack Daniel's.
- Roses are red.. Violets are blue.. I'd rather be single, than be with you.
- If you see CUPID, b*t*h-slap that little punk for me, will ya?
- Screw Valentine's Day! Fat babies carrying bow and arrows are creepy anyway.
- My love for you is beyond words, so don't expect a Valentine's Day card this year.
- I love you... blah blah blah... hearts and flowers..yada yada yada... cupid, etc.
- I got no time for you on this Valentine's Day.
- I'm not yours, you're not mine.. Be my anti-valentine?