Android is by far the largest and the most dominant mobile platform in the world. Most apps on Android's application marketplace, Google Play Store, are free, giving less heed to paid apps and apps with in-app purchases (IAPs). But Google is trying to change that by lowering the minimum price value of apps and IAPs in 17 countries.
The economy of every country is not the same and markets with low economy cannot spend on apps like those in the higher economy regions. The minimum price for Android apps in Google Play Store has remained $0.99 or its equivalent value in different countries for a long time. While it only seems a dollar in the U.S., other countries have to shell out a lot based on their currency exchange value.
Google has decided to change that by lowering the minimum price value of apps in Play Store in 17 countries to make content more accessible. As a result of this change, Google will be able to increase sales of its paid apps.
Google tested the minimum price value in India earlier this year, where certain Android apps in the Play Store were available for as low as Rs. 10 instead of the previous absolute minimum of Rs. 60. Clearly, the changed model worked in Google's favour to implement it across a wider range.
"We hope this change allows you to reach more people around the world so that you can continue to grow your business on Google Play," Google said in its official blog post on Tuesday.
See the list of all the countries affected by the new change
- Brazil: R$ 0.99 (was R$2.00)
- Chile: CLP $200.00 (was CLP $500.00)
- Colombia: COP$ 800.00 (was COP$ 2000.00)
- Hungary: Ft 125.00 (was Ft 225.00)
- Indonesia: Rp 3,000.00 (was Rp 12,000.00)
- Malaysia: RM 1.00 (was RM 3.50)
- Mexico: MXN$ 5.00 (was MXN$ 9.90)
- Peru: S/. 0.99 (was S/. 3.00)
- Philippines: ₱15.00 (was ₱43.00)
- Poland: zł1.79 (was zł2.99)
- Russia: руб 15.00 (was руб 30.00)
- Saudi Arabia:﷼ 0.99 (was 4.00﷼)
- South Africa: R3.99 (was R10.00)
- Thailand: ฿10.00 (was ฿32.00)
- Turkey: ₺0.59 (was ₺2.00)
- Ukraine: ₴5.00 (was ₴8.00)
- Vietnam: ₫6,000 (was ₫21,000.00).