Floods in the south African country of Malawi has killed at least 176 people so far, while about two lakh people have been displaced, after heavy month-long rains wiped away houses and roads.
The death toll is likely to rise as 153 people are said to be missing in the floods, Malawi's Vice President Saulos Chilima said on Friday, according to The Associated Press.
"I flew over some parts of the Lower Shire but we could not find anywhere to land. It's a big challenge we have before us," he said.
Neighbouring Mozambique registered fewer deaths, with 38 dead, despite its Licungo river reaching its highest levels since 1971.
Though thousands have been displaced in Mozambique, the nation's flood plan introduced last year seems to have reduced casualties.
The river bank bursting killed at least seven people as they tried to cross its bridge, while a ferry sank in the river, killing eight people, according to Mozambican news agency, AIM.
The Mozambique government reserved $32 million in the national budget last November to face flood disasters.
While Malawi has been caught off guard, the government has said it is working on a disaster preparedness strategy.
The police and the Malawi army have launched rescue operations, as hundreds remain trapped in villages submerged up to two to three meters of water.
The fear of disease and lack of food among survivors has also heightened.
The United Nations World Food Program has reportedly planned to airlift more than 100 metric tons of food to the region for at least 77,000 people, AP reported.
However, accessing Malawi's southern districts have been "extremely difficult", the UN body said.