A Pune Court will pronounce its verdict in the 2010 German Bakery blast case on Monday.
At least 17 people were killed and 57 injured in a bomb blast at German Bakery, Pune's famous eatery in Koregaon Park, around 7 pm on 13 February 2010.
After several months of investigation, the Maharashtra Anti Terrorism Squad (ATS) arrested lone conspirator Mirza Himayat Baig (31) from Udgir. Police found 1,200kg of explosives at his home, following which he was arrested on 7 September, 2010, at Pul-gate in Pune.
The police also named five other members as the wanted accused - Fayyaz Kagzi, Yasin Bhatkal, Iqbal Bhatkal, Riyaz Bhatkal and Mohsin Chaudhari (all Indian Mujahiddin members) - who are still absconding. The sixth accused in the case - Zabiuddin Ansari alias Abu Jundal - is facing trial in the 26/11 Mumbai attacks case.
On 4 December, 2010, investigating officer ACP Vinod Satav filed a 2,500-page chargesheet against Baig and the six other suspects.
According to the chargesheet, the conspiracy to trigger a bomb blast was hatched at a meeting in Colombo in 2008. Ansari trained Baig on bomb making and provided him money "for purchase of explosive devices and also funding travel of indoctrinated muslim youths who are desirous of undergoing terrorist training in Pakistan," the chargeshsheet said.
But, Biag's counsel has denied the prosecution claims and said that he was not in Pune, but in Allahabad when the bomb blast happened.
A total of 103 witnesses have been examined in connection with the case. Baig , who has been charged under various sections of Indian Penal Code, Unlawful Activities Prevention Act and the Explosive Substances Act, is in judicial custody at Yerawada Central Jail.
After the prosecution and defence concluded their arguments, Additional sessions judge NP Dhote began dictating the judgment in the last week of March. On 26 March, the judge fixed the date of the verdict as 15 April.