One necessary regimen that one needs to inculcate in his/her daily life is to keep oneself healthy and fit. Though many might feel that the change in our lifestyle, mainly due to the impact of technology has driven us away from proper workouts or maintaining our health, we will try to negate such thinking by taking a look at how technology can help us in our fitness regimen.
According to Flurry, a mobile analytics company, there was a 49 percent rise in the usage of mobile apps relating to health and fitness category, when the overall mobile app industry rose by 115 percent in an average daily usage in 2013. However, in 2014, there has been lots of changes. Among the study it conducted, the company said that there has been a 62 percent increase in the usage of these apps in a gap of six months. The report argues that most of the growth in this category is coming from a new segment of the mobility consumer called "Fitness Fanatics."
Many of the applications available now are designed for daily use and they have better integration with social media sites like Twitter and Facebook.
Here we will take a look at some of the best apps that aid us to maintain good health and have proper workouts without much compromise.
1. Zombies Run: This is not only a fun app to have while running, but also provides you with a detailed statistics of your run. As you run with your headphones on, you can hear the voice-over giving inputs of your running statistics and also about the lurking zombies. It is an immersive app where players can sweat out and run from zombies for real. Users will be able to create a base using this app as they join with others from the community. Free download available for iPhone and Android devices.
2. Nike+ Running: This app will help you track your running habits while providing you with the much needed motivation. It does not matter if you are on a track or a treadmill, the GPS and accelerometer will track the distance, pace and time. It also comes with an in-run audio feedback. Users will also be able to compare the progress made by friends and can challenge them in the leaderboard spot. It also has a training program that is coached under experts. Free download available for iPhone and Android devices.
3. Nike Training Club: This app basically caters the fitness fanatics among women. Users have options to choose their individual workouts or they can opt for a structured four-week program. This app will also let users customize their workout regimen matching your drills. It features more than 100 workouts from athletes like Maria Sharapova, who will give you instructions and motivation to reach the fitness goals. Users can also share their progress on Twitter and Facebook. Free download available for iPhone and Android devices.
4. Runtastic Six Pack Abs: This app will become your personal trainer offering some of the intense workouts by in-app avatars who will teach you via videos. It also offers customizations. The in-app avatars will guide users with exercises and workouts with more than 50 tutorial videos. It also has a 10 week six pack plan and its difficulty levels can be adjusted. It also allows users' heart rate integration to track the heart rate during workouts. Users can also share their experiences on Facebook and Twitter. Free download available for iPhone and Android devices.
5. Reps and Sets: If you are looking for a thorough app for your gym logging, then this is it. This app will let you do gym logging and tracks your workout progress. Users will be able to see the progress, create programs, provide with interactive muscle diagrams, log of your body measurement and visual selection of weights. This app will also capture equipment settings like bench incline angle. Logs of supersets, drop-sets, pyramids and HIIT sessions can be made. Facebook and Twitter can be used to share your regimen. This app costs $1.55 and is only available for iPhone devices.
6. Carrot Fit: If you had trouble to get your body in shape, use this sadistic AI construct that will make you get on the running track or on the treadmill. The AI will offer you tips, motivation and ridicule. Users will be able to record your weight once a day and set reminders so that you do not forget to do the workout. Weight progress can be tracked via graph. Users will also be able to claim rewards if they burn extra weight. This app comes with a price of $2.99 and is only on iPhone devices.
7. Moves: Users of the app will know the distance, duration, steps and calories that were burnt during walking, cycling and running as it tends to take an automatic record of all this. This is an always on app. It has an optional Battery Saving Mode that will help you save 40 percent of the battery. It can be a diary of your life that shows where you travelled and how much you moved using maps. It can also calculate the amount of steps taken. It also has Calorie Counter that calculates the calories burnt during the activities. Free download available for iPhone and Android devices.
8. The Walk: This app allows users to walk more and prompts them to walk daily. It alerts users the dangers and the only option will be to walk. The game has a captivating story with 65 episodes and about 800 minutes of audio. Users will be rewarded for collecting clues, and unlocking achievements, they will also be able to adjust the difficulty based on their fitness levels. This app costs $2.99 and is available on iPhone and Android devices.
9. Noom Weight Loss Coach: This app will act as a coach to the user to make them lose weight. It allows users to log their meal intakes that will be saved in a database and it remembers your favorite food. It will give user personalized tasks that will help you in losing weight. It will also provide feedback and motivations needed for cultivating healthy habits. Users will also be provided reminders and notifications that will help them follow their goals. They can track running, swimming and cycling activities. The app is freely available for download on iPhone and Android devices.
10. HealthyOut: This app provides users with inputs on healthy food whether they are in restaurants or anywhere outside. It has presence in more than 500 cities. The dishes suggested by the app will have half the calories and half the fat when compared to any average restaurant meal. Users can choose from the various filters - calorie, points, cuisine, ingredients and types of dish. Also, the app is sensitive to the food restrictions of Vegetarian, Vegan, Lactose and Gluten. It will provide detailed nutritional information of dishes. Free download available for iPhone and Android devices.
Apart from the above apps suggested, there are host of other apps like Fooducate, Tabata Trainer, RoadID, MyFitnessPal and many more.